Sunday, May 16, 2021

Dress for Success

No description available.         DRESS FOR SUCCESS!

Written by:  Becky Hall, Assistant Dog Trainer

My Best Buddy Dog Training

 

I'm sure you've all heard this term. Here's how it applies to dog training. We just started three new puppy classes and while talking to all the new people about socialization and how to do it, I started thinking about some of the things I always do to make socialization easier on me and more effective for the puppy. This goes for all training times, not just socialization.

Here's my tip: DRESS FOR SUCCESS! By this I mean that doing something as simple as dressing more effectively for puppy class, at home with your puppy, or when going on a socialization outing, can make a huge difference in your training. Since puppies nip and jump, and have sharp teeth and nails, even when it's hot weather, I always wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants. When it's hot I just wear cooler versions! A must for me, ALWAYS, is wearing safe, enclosed shoes with good traction, such as sneakers with the laces double knotted, or well-fitting slide-on sneakers (like Vans) for times when my puppy is in the "shoe-lace-tugging" phase. Avoid wearing clothes with "flowy" hems or items that can be snagged. 


It's so much easier to focus on working with your puppy when you aren't worrying about being nipped, scratched or losing your balance. And since puppies are easily distracted by just about everything, at least you can control what you are wearing and remove those distractions! So Dress for Success and see what a big difference it will make this week!

No description available.Note the handler (my husband Kirk Hall) has on long pants, long sleeved shirt, safe shoes and a training treat pouch filled with training treats, dog's shot records, poo bags.  Back pack contains water and water bowl, extra food and a small blanket for Penny to settle on.  He's ready to train!

 

 Like Us on Facebook
Follow on Twitter

No comments: